Wednesday 30 October 2013

How Long Is A Half Marathon?

The half marathon is exactly 13.1094 miles or 21.097494 Kilometres long. As you can see these distances are very precise. They are rounded down to 13.1 miles or 21.1 Kilometres.

The distance is exactly half the distance of the full marathon and is almost always run on roads. The popularity of half marathons is growing rapidly. Almost every city and major town will now host at least one of these events every year.

Half Marathon Distance

Why Is The Half Marathon Distance So Popular?

Many people like to run and many people like to raise money for charity. Unfortunately the training schedule and the actual distance is just too much for most people. It is the amount of time it takes to prepare that is the stumbling block for many.

That is the main difference with the half marathon. Although still a challenge, and a great accomplishment, almost anyone can be fit enough to run the half marathon distance in about 12 weeks. People of a moderate fitness can be ready in about 8 weeks, and fit people can be read in 4-6 weeks.

That puts this in range for a great many people. So now that you know how long the half marathon is, do you believe that it is something that you could take on and have some success with? When I thought about running the half marathon initially, I can tell you quite honestly that the 13.1 miles seemed a very long distance indeed. It was only when I started looking into the details a bit more that I began to believe that it was achievable.

Understanding How To Deal With The Distance of 13.1 Miles

The key to being able to do this race is all in the planning. When I started out I was not in great shape. I was overweight by around 10-14 pounds and I had not done any training at all for about ten years. I used to play a lot of football, squash and golf. Mainly due to injuries I packed it all in. I didn't become a potato couch but I did not do any exercise either.

So that was my starting point and to be honest I knew if I wanted to complete a half marathon, I would have to get into shape. I found a plan for beginners and I was quite surprised when it stated I could be ready in 12 weeks if I followed this plan. I have to tell you I didn't believe that at all.

However, nothing ventured and nothing gained so at least I made a commitment to give it my best shot. I have to tell you it worked and in 12 weeks I did complete my first half marathon, one that would be the first of many. The secret is of course to start with short distances and work your way up over the weeks. I just walked the distance the first couple of weeks as I was not quite up to a running effort.

Soon though I was running and the distances recommended in the plan began to get comfortable. Sure I developed a bit of a sweat and I ached a bit for a few days. Eventually though it all started coming together and then it became enjoyable.

I have published a link to this plan on this blog and you can see it for yourself by clicking here.

No comments:

Post a Comment